The General Surgery and Digestive Units at Hospital Vithas Xanit International are made up of highly reputed professionals, who have an extensive training and experience.
In order to ensure the highest quality of care, the Surgical Department has the most advanced technology, offering state-of-the-art techniques and equipment as well as the latest advances in the treatment of various pathologies.
This Department offers advanced laparoscopic surgery as the main choice for most surgical pathologies. This technique requires that the surgeon has the knowledge and the skill to be able to perform it with the maximum guarantees for the patient.
Our team of professionals in this department have a wealth of expertise and experience. They are amongst the best specialists in the treatment of biliary disease, colorectal pathology, surgery of the gastroduodenal ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux, achalasia, surgery of the adrenal glands, hernias, incisional hernias, morbid obesity and metabolic surgery, amongst other specialities.
The cholecystectomy The gallbladder has two main functions:
• To receive and store the bile produced by the liver.
• To send it to the small intestine by contraction to help with digestion.
The bile is composed of water, cholesterol, bile salts that emulsify the fat and a pigment (bilirubin).
There are two types of gall stones (lithiasis) :
• Gallstones formed by plates of cholesterol, which represent 80% of cases. These form when the cholesterol level is very high and the bile salts cannot emulsify the fats, or when the motility (contraction) of the gallbladder is deficient and the concentration of bile is too high.
• Pigment stones represent the remaining 20% of cases and that usually appear as a result of a pre-existing disease. The size and number of stones in the gallbladder are varies widely.
Reasons for cholecystectomy In most cases, there are no symptoms of lithiasis, and they are not treated.
The intervention is done when there is an attack of biliary colic. A gallbladder attack usually last from 2 to 4 hours.
The symptoms are as follows:
• A persistent and acute pain in the upper part of the abdomen
• A pain in the back at the height of the shoulder blades.
• A pain in the right shoulder,
• Nausea and vomiting
Complications arise when gallstones block the bile from the liver to the gallbladder and also from the gallbladder to the intestine thus producing inflammations of the gallbladder (cholecystitis), of the channels (cholangitis), of the pancreas (pancreatitis).
In these cases, and when the attack of biliary colic is frequent, a cholecystectomy is recommended (gallbladder removal).
Cholecystectomy procedure Cholecystectomy is usually done by laparoscopy. The surgeon, through small incisions, introduces a camera and the relevant instruments required to remove part of the gallbladder.
An open cholecystectomy may be necessary in the case of infections.
Type of surgery and anaesthesia
This is a minimally invasive surgery and is usually performed under general anaesthesia.
This is an out-patients procedure, and hospitalization does not exceed 24 hours.
Dr. Andrés SANCHEZ CANTOS
Head of the Department of Gastroenterology at the Hospital Vithas Xanit Internacional.
Dr. Andrés SANCHEZ CANTOS
• Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from the Faculty of Medicine at Granada University.
• Carlos Haya Regional Hospital in Malaga and Virgen de la Victoria University Clinic Hospital.
• Head Consultant for the Digestive System Services at the Costa del Sol Hospital (Marbella)
• Consultant for the Digestive System at the public Costa del Sol Hospital Marbella (Malaga).
• Consultant at the Provincial Civil Hospital in Malaga.
• Chief Clinician of the Provincial Civil Hospital in Malaga.
• Head Consultant for the Digestive System Unit at the Virgen de la Victoria University Clinic Hospital
• Book Chapter: Sanchez Yague, A, Morales Barroso ML, Sánchez Cantos to M. Normal and pathology oesophagus In Atlas of capsule endoscopy. Second Edition. Herrerías Gutierrez JM Seville 2011.
• Gornals JB, de la Serna-Higueras , Loras C, Sánchez Yague, Sánchez Cantos AM, Pérez Miranda M, Endosonography-guide drainage of pancreatic fluid collections with a novel lumen-apposing stent. Surg Endosc. 2013 Apr.27 (4) 1428 -34
• Sanchez Yagüe, A., Sánchez Cantos AM, endoscope resection of rectal gastrointestinal stomal tumour using band ligation: an adequate technique? Rev. Esp Enferm Dig. Mar 2010; 102 (3): 220
• Sanchez Yagüe, A, Sánchez Cantos AM, Gonzalez Canóniga A, et al. Treatment of Zenker's diverticulum through flexible endoscopy. RAPD. 2010 33 (3) 215-220
• Lazo MD, Andrades R, Medina MC, Garcia G, Sánchez Cantos AM, Franquelo E, Effect of injection sclerosis with alcohol om rate of gastroduodenal peptic ulcers with nonbleeding visible vessel: a prospective, controlled trial. Am. J. Gastroenterology Jul 1992; 87 (7) : 843 -6
• Franquelo Villalonga E, Porras Díaz F, Sánchez Cantos AM, Chaneta Perwz F, Llamas Mármol A, Laso Alonso D, Franquelo Ramos E.: Endoscopy Echography: its possibilities Rev Esp Enferm Apar Dig Mar 1985 (3).
• Franquelo Vilallonga E, Sánchez Cantos, Porras Díaz F, Llamas A, Ranquelo Ramos E. Tumours of the cecum and anaemia. Rev. Esp Enferm Apar Dig 1984 Sep; 66(3) 211-6.
• Gold Medal awarded by the Spanish Gastroenterological Society.
• Gold Medal awarded by the Andalusian Gastroenterological Society.
• National Gold Medal of the Volunteer work awarded by the AECC.
• President of the Andalusia Gastroenterological Society.
• President of the National Congress of the Spanish Gastroenterological Society 2003.
• President of the Congress of the Andalusian Gastroenterological Society 1998.
• President of the Scientific Committee of the Andalusian Gastroenterological Society.
• Lecturer in Practical Courses and Doctorate Programs of Malaga University.
1- Information and reasons for your gallbladder surgery
Within 24 hours of receiving your request for information, we will contact you by e-mail or telephone to assess your needs, identify your reasons for surgery and answer your questions directly.
2- Diagnosis and selection of the gallbladder surgery
To begin with we recommend that you visit our Digestive Surgery Department. In order that the specialist can discuss your case, and decide which kind of spinal surgery best suits your particular requirements. • Medical records:
We will send you the list of examinations and medical tests results that we will need to see during your first visit to Hospital Vithas Xanit Internacional. In the event that our doctors deem it necessary to make an additional screening test, this could be carried out during the same visit (except in the case of tests which require anaesthesia, in which case tehy would need to be pre-booked). You may send a copy of your medical information before planning you first visit. • Diagnosis:
The professionals involved in the diagnosis and treatment of digestive diseases will study your medical records, the results of medical tests and examinations, and establish a precise and reliable diagnosis. We will assist you in choosing with you the right type of gallbladder surgery best suited to your particular case.
We will provide you with complete information: treatment process, programming and a detailed budget.
3- Process of gallbladder surgery • Gallbladder surgery protocol
The process and programming of treatment is different according to the type of Gallbladder surgery being carried out, and your particular case. • An assigned medical team. Throughout the treatment process, you will always deal with the same team of doctors
4- Your medical travel and your gallbladder surgery
Once your treatment of Gallbladder Surgery has been confirmed and accepted, our International Services Team at Hospital Vithas Xanit Internacional will be at your disposal to assist you with the organising of your trip to Malaga and will remain in contact with you.
5- Your arrival
Upon your arrival to Malaga, a representative of Hospital Vithas Xanit Internacional will be waiting to greet you. We will help you to organise of your transfers and accompany you to our hospital.
6- Follow up for your Gallblader surgery. • Maintaining contact with you. Once you have been discharged, our International Services Team will be at your disposal should you require any further medical assistance, and shall assist you with any administrative requirements that you may have. • Informing your referring doctor. We shall provide you with a full medical report which you can give to your own doctor back home.
Contact or request a quote
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further information.
Leave us your contact details and inquiry, we will contact you shortly.