The winter is a cold and dry season, popular for the use of heating and tools to improve the characteristics and indicators of suitability of the environment and air, such as humidifiers.
Another consequence of cold air is that it decreases the production of the tear, and with it the natural lubrication of our eyes.
Like the skin, our eyes have to be moist and require certain care, being a very delicate part of our body. The change of environment and the colder seasons produce ocular dryness. It also happens when there is a lot of wind, for example.
In addition, if you are a contact lens user, you have to take a more thorough care with your eyes, since the lens itself dries out the eye. Maybe, with the cold and the wind, you feel how the lens sticks more to your eyes, thus causing greater dryness, even blurred vision if you wear them for a long time.
For all these reasons, today we recommend some special care for the eyes at this time of year such as:
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV rays, because in winter they are also harmful. In addition, these also protect your eyes from the wind and possible dirt particles that may enter. If they can be polarized much better to avoid reflections and improve clear vision.
- Blinking continuously to keep the eye hydrated.
- Use artificial tears if you notice too dry the eye, but watching that they do not contain corticoids.
- Take care of your diet, increasing the portion of fruits and vegetables, as well as omega-3 fatty acids. Eat more fish, spinach, chia seeds, soybeans, olive oil, mussels and eggs, for example.
- Wash your eyes with saline if you get any particles from the wind. Never rub with your hands.
- Regulate the heating keeping it in an appropriate condition and use humidifiers if the environment is too dry, especially if there are children at home.
Despite all the previous advice, it is convenient to go periodically to the ophthalmologist to perform a complete eye exam and assess your particular situation.
At the Vithas Xanit International Hospital in Benalmádena, in the Ophthalmology unit, Dr. Ángel Cilveti, will receive and advise you on the care of your vision at any time of the year. If you have any pathological eye disease or feel any discomfort in the eyes, he will advise you so that your vision status is optimal at any time.