Director of the Vithas Xanit Oncology Institute, specialized in breast cancer, germline testicular tumors and phase Ib-III clinical trials.
- Bachelor’s degree of Medicine and Surgery. University of Málaga (1981).
- Resident doctor in Medical Oncology at the Oncology and Nuclear Medicine Service at Hospital de la Santa Cruz y San Pablo in Barcelona (1983 – 1986).
Area of expertise
- Assistant Doctor of Medical Oncology in the Medical Oncology Section at Provincial Civil Hospital of Malaga (1987 – 1989).
- Assistant Doctor in the Medical Oncology Section at Virgen de la Victoria University Hospital in Malaga (1989 – 1994).
- Head of the Medical Oncology Section of the Virgen de la Victoria University Hospital in Malaga (1994 – 1997).
- Head of the Medical Oncology Service of the Virgen de la Victoria University Hospital in Malaga (since 1997).
University training activity:
- Collaborating Professor at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (Teaching Unit of the San Pablo Hospital) (1983 – 1987).
- Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine of the University of Malaga (1990 – 2008).
- University Professor in the Department of Medicine of the University of Malaga, responsible for the Oncology subject, 6th year of the Medicine Degree (since 2008).
- Accredited by ANECA as University Professor (2012).
Publications and Congresses:
- Alba E, Chacon JI, Lluch A, Anton A, Estevez L, Cirauqui B, et al. A randomized phase II trial of platinum salts in basal-like breast cancer patients in the neoadjuvant setting. Results from the GEICAM/2006-03, multicenter study. Breast Cancer Res Treat. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012;136(2):487-93.
- Alba E, Calvo L, Albanell J, De la Haba JR, Arcusa Lanza A, Chacon JI, et al. Chemotherapy (CT) and hormonotherapy (HT) as neoadjuvant treatment in luminal breast cancer patients: results from the GEICAM/2006-03, a multicenter, randomized, phase-II study. Ann Oncol. 2012; 23(12):3069-74.
- Martín M, Seguí MA, Antón A, Ruiz A, Ramos M, Adrover E, et al. Adjuvant docetaxel for high-risk, node-negative breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 201;363(23):2200-10.
- Alba E, Ruiz-Borrego M, Margelí M, Rodríguez-Lescure A, Sánchez-Rovira P, et al. Maintenance treatment with pegylated liposomal doxorubicin versus observation following induction chemotherapy for metastatic breast cancer: GEICAM 2001-01 study. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010; 122(1):169-76.
- Alba E, Martín M, Ramos M, Adrover E, Balil A, Jara C, et al. Multicenter randomized trial comparing sequential with concomitant administration of doxorubicin and docetaxel as first-line treatment of metastatic breast cancer: a Spanish Breast Cancer Research Group (GEICAM-9903) phase III study. J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22(13):2587-93.
- Member of the National Commission of Medical Oncology, representing the Spanish Society of Medical Oncology (2007-2011).
- President of the Andalusian Cancer Society (SAC, “Sociedad Andaluza de Cancerología”) (1998-2000).
- Vice President of the Spanish Society of Medical Oncology (SEOM, “Sociedad Española de Oncología Médica”)
- President of the Spanish Society of Medical Oncology (SEOM) (2009-2011).
- Member of the Spanish Society of Medical Oncology, of the Andalusian Society of Cancerology, of the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO), of the Andalusian Society of Palliative Care and of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (asco).
- Patron of CUDECA and IMABIS.
- FIS Evaluator of the Carlos III Health Institute
- ANECA evaluator
- Reviewer of the following Scientific Journals:
– Annals of oncology.
– Lancet oncology.
– Journal of cellular biochemistry.
– Cancer investigation.
– Drug safety.
– Cancer letters
- Member of the ESMO-ASCO Commission for the design of the curriculum in Medical Oncology.
- Active member and Member of the Board of GEICAM (“Grupo Español para la Investigación y Tratamiento del Cáncer de Mama”, Spanish Group for Research and Treatment of Breast Cancer).