Head of Hepatology and Internal Medecine at Vithas Xanit International Hospital
- Doctor of Medicine from the University of Málaga (1994).
- Graduate in Medicine from the University of Málaga (1982).
Specialist in Internal Medicine. Virgen de la Victoria University Hospital in Málaga (1986-1990).
Area of expertise
- Infectious diseases.
- Autoimmune diseases.
- Associate Doctor of the Internal Medicine Services at the Virgen de la Victoria University Hospital in Málaga (1990).
- Associate Doctor of the Haepatology Unit within the Internal Medicine Department. Virgen de la Victoria University Hospital in Málaga (1990).
- Gavilán JC, Ojeda G, Arnedo R, Puerta S. Predictive risk factors of hepatocellular carcinomas in chronic hepatitis C. Eur J Intern Med. 2013 Jul 09.
- Salgado F, Gavilán JC, et al. Natural history and Incidence of the haepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic infection due to the hepatitis C virus. Spanish Clinical Magazine.. 200: 360-66; 2000.
- Salgado-Ordóñez F, Gavilán-Carrasco JC, Bermúdez-Recio FJ, et al. Absence of the inferior vena cava causing repeated deep venous thrombosis in adults. A case report. Angiology. Angiology. 1998;49:951–6.
- Gavilán JC. Mortality in the severely obese. Obesity: medical treatment and surgical procedures. Málaga: Publication Services of the University of Málaga, 1997. ISBN: 84-7496-618-3.
- Gavilán JC. Hepatitis postransfusionales: Post-transfusional hepatitis: prospective study at the University Hospital of Málaga. Málaga: Publication Services of the University of Malaga, 1995. ISBN: 84-7496-433-4.
- Member of the Medical Board at the Clinico Hospital until 2012.
- Tutor responsible for the training of Residents and member of the Teaching Commission at the Clinical Hospital in Málaga (1991-2006).
- Member of the Board for the Faculty of Medicine in Málaga until 2012.
- Member of the Governing Board at the University of Málaga until 2006.
- Participation in multicenter clinical trials. Multicenter open study on a 12 week prediction of the response of Peginterferon alfa-2 (40 KD) in combination with Ribavirina on patients with chronic hepatitis C genotype I in the routine clinical practice. Protocol Code ML 16713 B. Financing entity: ROCHE FARMA S.A. 2002-2004.
- Participation in international multicenter clinical trials. Multicenter study of open use on interferon alfa-2 interferon (Ro 25-8310) in monotherapy and therapy combined with Ribavirina (Ro 20-9963) in patients with chronic hepatitis C (Clinical Trials in phase III). Protocol Code BV 16209. Financing entity: ROCHE FARMA S.A. (2001-2003).
- Member of the Social Security Health Research Fund’s (FISS) Research Group. Project entitled ‘Study of genetic alterations of interferons in viral hepatitis (project 92 / 0646). Financing entity: Social Security Health Research Fund (1992-1993).
- Member of the Technological Development and Research Group for the Andalusian Autonomous community (Group CTS 0277). Application of molecular genetic techniques to diagnose and monitor the treatment and epidemiology of infectious diseases. Financing entity: Directorate General for Universities and Research. 1996-1997-1998.
- Associate Clinical Professor in the Department of Medicine. Faculty of Medicine. University of Málaga since 1994.