Head of Cardiac Surgery Services at Vithas Xanit International Hospital
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, Seville University (1976).
- PhD Doctor in Medicine and Surgery, Valencia University (1986).
- Lecturer in Cardiovascular Surgery at the Faculty of Medicine, Malaga University (2011).
- European Board of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (Netherlands, 2002).
- Consultant in Cardiovascular Surgery at La Fe Hospital in Valencia (1980).
Areas of expertise
- Surgery of the aorta.
- Reparative surgery of the mitral, aortic and tricuspid valves.
- Combined valvular and coronary surgery.
- Valve replacement using mechanical and biological prostheses without using stents and homografts.
- Coronary surgery with or without CEC.
- Surgery for aneurysms.
- Surgery for arrhythmia.
- Intern physician at the Macarena Hospital in Seville. Cardiology Services, Coronary Care Unit and Cardiovascular Surgery (1976).
- Consultant for the Cardiovascular Surgery Service at La Fe Hospital Valencia. (1980-1987).
- Area Consultant in Cardiovascular Surgery at the Carlos Haya and Virgen de la Victoria Hospitals (1987-2010).
- Head of Cardiac Surgery at the Virgen de la Victoria Hospital of Malaga (since 2010).
- Visiting lecturer at the Mount Sinai Hospital in New York (USA, 1988).
- Fernández B, Durán AC, Fernández-Gallego T, Fernández MC, Such M, et al. Bicuspid aortic valves with different spatial orientations of the leaflets are distinct etiological entities. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;54(24):2312-2318. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2009.07.044
- Melero JM, Rodriguez I, Such M, Porras C, Olalla E. Left ventricular outflow tract obstruction with mechanical mitral prosthesis. Ann Thorac Surg 1999 68: 255 -257 DOI: 10.1016 /S0003-4975 (99)00496-8.
- Montijano A, Espinosa S, Melero JM, Such M. Delayed mitral regurgitation following transmyocardial revascularization with CO2 laser. Eur. J. Cardiothoracic. Surg. 2000 Oct; 18(4): 498 -499 DOI: 10.1016 /S1010-7940 (00)00530-3.
- Melero JM, Porras C, M, Olalla E, Alonso J. Severe stenosis of anastomoses by using the symmetry aortic connector system. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004 Nov 78 (5) 1831-3 Cited in PubMed: PMID 15511489
- Sanz M, Such M, Rafecas FJ, Martin G, Santos M. Staphylococcus epidermis infections in acute myeloblastic leukaemia patients fitted with Hickman catheter box. The Lancet. 1983, 322 1191-1192, DOI: 10.1016 /S0140-6736 (83)91234-5.
- Founder and President of the Andalusian Society for Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Founder and President of the Andalusian Foundation for Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Spanish Society for Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Founder of the Surgery and Heart Foundation
- Prize awarded by the Santander Bank for the research project on “Effect of the antiarrhythmic drugs and calcium antagonists in ventricular defibrillation in an experimental model based on the extracorporeal circulation. Possible role of synchronization in the defibrillation of the organized ventricular fibrillation” (Madrid, 1985).
- Prize for the best short conference: “experimental assessment of the internal cardiac massage during ventricular fibrillation as a technique for cardiac resuscitation” presented to the III Meeting of the Valencian Society of Cardiology. Benicasim (May, 1986).
- Cormedica Prize for the short conference: “Determination of Troponin I in cardiac surgery under extracorporeal movement (Seville, 1997).
- Luis Castillon Prize for the best short conference: “myocardial revascularization surgery with arterial graft” presented at the VI Congress of the Andalusian Society for Cardiovascular Surgery (Cordoba, 2001).
- Luis Castillon Prize for the best short conference: “A comparative study of permeability of venous grafts using manual and mechanical proximal anastomosis” presented at the VII Congress of the Andalusian Society for Cardiovascular Surgery (Malaga, 2003).
- Prize for the best article published in the Spanish Journal of Cardiology in 2010.