Once the tasks of excavation and containment of walls have been carried out, the first phase of the work on the Vithas Xanit Internacional hospital expansion project has been completed, after having built 614 m3 of reinforced concrete, 30,700 kg. of steel and 5,500 m3 of earthworks.
This expansion work, whose investment in its realization amounts to 16 million euros, will result in an innovative hospital of 25,000 m2, a reference in healthy spaces and universal accessibility.
The reform will be carried out without affecting the current surgical activity of the hospital, for which actions such as the relocation of some facilities in the current building are already being carried out.
As a result of this expansion, a global hierarchical circulation scheme that will facilitate the daily activity of the hospital will be achieved, both for specialists and for patients, separating technical circuits from public ones and reinforcing vertical communications with two functional nuclei of stairs and elevators.
“One of the great novelties that will be carried out with this work is the union of both buildings, the current and the new, on the ground floor in its entirety”, explains Mercedes Mengíbar, Andalusia territorial director of the Vithas Group, who adds that the result will be “having a single central services plant that will mean better connectivity”. “In this plant we will have operating rooms, ICU, PACU, outpatient consultations and emergencies, facilitating the daily activity of the hospital, not only for specialists but also for patients. Because Vithas hospitals are already prepared to take care of their patients and, with this work, at Vithas Xanit we continue to make progress to take better care of our patients”, she highlights.
Distribution of the new building after the expansion
The expansion will consist of 4 new floors, aligned with the basement, ground floor, +1 and +2 of the current building. The distribution of the new floors will be as follows:
- Basement floor: it will house the loading and unloading dock, a space for waste, a facilities area and a parking lot for staff.
- Ground floor: the surgical block is expanded with 2 new operating rooms (as well as space to add 4 more operating rooms in the future) and a post anesthetic recovery area. There will also be renovated wardrobe areas and a sterilization area with a washing, preparation and collection area for sterile material. This same floor also includes a new Intensive Care Unit block with 15 individual boxes, separated from the surgical block by a courtyard that will allow all boxes to have direct natural light. Finally, there will also be an expansion and reform of the existing outpatient consultations that will result in a total of 62 consultations that will also have a new access of its own and differentiated from the main access.
- Floors 1 and 2: they will be aimed at increasing the hospitalization area. In principle, 36 new beds will be added to the hospital (for a total of 142), leaving space to expand the hospitalization area with 36 more rooms in the future.
In this way, as explains José Antonio Ródenas, managing director of the Vithas Xanit Internacional hospital, “In addition to increasing the current capacity, with 5,635 m2 in hospitalization, surgical block, outpatient clinics and ICU and reforming 1,048 m2, the expansion project contemplates another 2,148 m2 for the preparation of an additional hospitalization floor and 4 operating rooms that will be completed in a next phase of the project when demand requires it, which means a substantial reduction in construction costs and the inconvenience for the activity with respect to construction from scratch. We will also have a 157 m2 PACU with 15 posts and a post anesthetic recovery unit on the same floor as the ICU”.
A hospital designed to be healthier and more accessible
In the design of this expansion of the Vithas Xanit Internacional hospital, carried out by PMMT Arquitectura, innovative methodologies have been used:
- On the one hand, it is based on Friendly Materials©, a method that allows choosing the healthiest construction materials, by evaluating and comparing how different materials affect the health of interior spaces and their occupants.
- On the other hand, the Clear Code Architecture® methodology ensures that the universal accessibility of all the built spaces is guaranteed, so that anyone can access them independently regardless of their abilities or circumstances.
Thanks to the application of both methodologies in the expansion, the new Vithas Xanit Internacional hospital will be a space in which the high quality of services and results will be reinforced by the design and comfort of the hospital.
Vithas hospitals are safe hospitals
Vithas’ 20 hospitals are safe hospitals for patients and professionals thanks to the implementation of strict safety protocols against covid-19. Among the measures implemented, the establishment of two different circuits stands out: one for people with symptoms compatible with covid-19, and the other for other patients.
Additionally, we supply masks and hydroalcoholic gel to all people who come to the hospital for any reason. In addition, the Group is carrying out massive virus detection tests on all personnel, who are equipped with all the necessary self-protection measures.
A security that has always been reinforced thanks to the fact that all Vithas hospitals implement the strict protocols of the Joint Commission International, world reference body that accredits patient safety and healthcare excellence.
For more information: https://preparadosparacuidarte.com/