Problems related to the prostate are some of the most common pathologies in men, especially after 50 years. Often, many men do not go to the urologist for a periodic check-up, either because of fear, shame or because they simply are not given the importance that is due to these reviews.
However, urology reviews are of vital importance in the detection and early treatment of prostate problems and pathologies:
Detection and early treatment of prostate cancer
Prostate cancer is one of the most frequent in men (in Spain, approximately 22% of cancers diagnosed in men are prostate). It mainly affects men between 55 and 69 years old, being one of the most frequent pathologies of the prostate.
Although it is a serious pathology, if it is detected and treated early its cure rate is very high, 90%. However, in its initial stages it does not produce obvious symptoms, so the only way to be able to detect it early and in time to treat it with good healing expectations is through urological examinations.
For this reason, the recommendation is that from the age of 50 all men should go to urological exams to make an early diagnosis in case of prostate cancer, and if necessary, be able to treat it in time. In the case of having a family history, it is advisable to start going to revisions even earlier, over 45 years.
Other problems and frequent pathologies of the prostate
Although less serious than the previous one, there are also other frequent problems that affect the prostate and can be treated early thanks to a review:
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasty (BPH): it consists in the growth of the prostate gland, which, as it grows, hinders and obstructs urine output. Because it is related to age, it is the most frequent pathology of the prostate, so that it affects 90% of men, although it is not a serious pathology.
- Prostatitis (prostate infection): less frequent than the previous ones, it usually affects younger men. It consists of germ-generated urine infections. They can become chronic easily if they are not treated on time properly, so it is important to see a specialist soon.
Symptoms of prostate related problems
Among the usual symptoms of prostate problems are the following:
- Symptoms of filling: increased frequency and need to urinate, urinary incontinence, etc…
- Symptoms of emptying: feeling of difficulty emptying the bladder from the urine, difficulty and/or effort to urinate…
- Bleeding and Hematuria (reddish urine)
- Repeated infections
Before the appearance of any of these symptoms, the specialist should be consulted as soon as possible to diagnose the problem and indicate the appropriate treatment, without forgetting that, although we do not have any symptoms, we should periodically review it as a preventive measure, especially after age 50, when problems such as prostate cancer are more frequent.
Urology at Vithas Xanit International Hospital
In the Urology Department at Vithas Xanit International Hospital we put at your disposal the best specialists in urology, who will provide you with the best care both in the review and diagnosis and, when necessary, in the treatment of prostate pathologies. Contact us for more information or make an appointment.