Spider veins are an aesthetic problem that affects millions of women.
These are dilatations of the capillary vessels that appear in the dermis of the legs, especially on the outside, so that their appearance is reminiscent of the branches of a tree or the legs of a spider (that is why they are called spider veins). Although they do not pose a risk to health, they affect aesthetics and can generate complexes for those who suffer from them. In some cases, they can also cause some mild symptoms such as heaviness in the legs, tiredness…
They are similar to varicose veins, but unlike these, spider veins are smaller and do not cause pain. However, they are sometimes a symptom of the onset of varicose veins, so it is always advisable to go to the doctor to study and diagnose each case.
Currently there are several minimally invasive treatments that do not require surgery or hospitalization to solve this aesthetic problem, among which we find treatments with microfoam, laser treatment, radiofrequency thermocoagulation…
Causes of spider veins
The main causes of the appearance of spider veins are the following:
- Hereditary factor: genetic inheritance plays an important role in the appearance of spider veins, so that a woman has a high probability of suffering from them if other women of the same family had them.
- Pregnancy: the variations in the hormonal levels that take place during pregnancy can worsen the blood circulation and consequently cause the appearance of spider veins.
- Spend a lot of time sitting or standing, as this increases the pressure to which the walls of the veins are subjected, which can cause the formation of spider veins.
Treatments to remove spider veins and varicose veins
As we have already mentioned, the reason to eliminate spider veins is fundamentally aesthetic. For this, the first thing that is done is to perform a prior medical diagnosis by a specialist to determine what is the best treatment in each case.
Among the treatments usually performed to eliminate spider veins are the following:
- Sclerotherapy with microfoam: in this treatment, a chemical substance (microfoam) is injected into the small blood vessels affected, so that they are sealed and, as blood does not flow through them, these veins heal and disappear over time.
- Laser treatment: in this case a laser is used to eliminate spider veins, sending laser bursts through the skin to small superficial veins that have dilated to form spider veins. Currently laser treatments are a very effective solution for the elimination of spider veins, giving excellent results.
- Radiofrequency thermocoagulation: this procedure is performed by very small needles that are applied locally to heat-seal radiofrequency affected blood vessels.
All these treatments are performed on an outpatient basis, so that after the session the patient can return home the same day. When the problem is mild and is not widespread, spider veins can be eliminated in a single session, but if the extension is larger it may be necessary to perform several treatment sessions spaced in time to eliminate them completely.
Treatment of spider and varicose veins at Vithas Xanit International Hospital
At Vithas Xanit International Hospital we have the best specialists in aesthetic medicine, as well as in the treatment of problems of venous insufficiency, which allow us to offer our patients the best results in the elimination of both spider veins and varicose veins. Contact us for more information or make an appointment.