Among the different types of allergies, pollen allergy is one of the most frequent. In Spain, one in 4 people suffers from this type of allergy, and in the spring with the pollination of many of the plants, the cases of allergic reactions increase considerably.
Although pollen is harmless, in the case of allergy sufferers, their body identifies it as an invasive agent and overreacts, releasing substances such as histamine to protect itself. As a consequence, the typical symptoms of allergy appear, such as sneezing, runny nose and itchy nose, lacrimation, etc.
In those cases where the symptoms are very strong or bothersome, the allergist may prescribe antihistamines or other medication to mitigate the symptoms. However, prevention remains best, avoiding contact with the allergen whenever possible.
Next, we will see with Dr. Clara Isabel Pérez Padilla, head of the Allergology Service of Vithas Xanit Internacional, some useful tips to prevent and avoid, as far as possible, suffer allergic reactions:
- On days with a higher pollen concentration, and especially on days with strong winds, it is best to avoid leaving the house as much as possible.
- Avoid as much as possible going out in the hours with the highest concentration of pollen in the air, between 5 and 10 in the morning and between approximately 7 and 10 at night. Also keep windows closed at home during those hours.
- When driving, keep the windows closed to prevent pollen from entering.
- Use pollen filters on air conditioners, both at home and in the car. Change them frequently so they do not lose effectiveness.
- Wear sunglasses when going out, to avoid pollen from coming into contact with the eyes.
- When you get home, change your clothes and shower, since pollen can remain on clothing and body. If we can’t change our clothes, washing our hands and face after exposing ourselves to pollen can help. Avoid hanging clothes outside, especially in spring.
- Try to avoid activities that can remove pollen particles, such as sweeping the terrace or mowing the lawn.
- In case we have a garden, avoid plants that pollinate by air.
- If we spend the night outdoors, do not sleep near pollen sources such as trees or other plants.
- In case of taking allergy medications such as histamines, it should always be done under medical supervision, always following the specialist’s instructions. If in doubt, consult a specialist.
Apart from pollen allergy, there are also other types of allergies, which in some cases can cause more serious reactions. In this other post you will find more information about other types of allergies: causes, symptoms and how to treat them.
Allergology specialists at Vithas Xanit Internacional
In case you need to go to an allergist, either to diagnose or treat the symptoms of an allergy, remember that at Vithas Xanit Internacional you will find the best specialists. Contact us for more information or make an appointment.
Vithas hospitals are safe hospitals
Vithas’ 20 hospitals are safe hospitals for patients and professionals thanks to the implementation of strict safety protocols against covid-19. Among the measures implemented, the establishment of two different circuits stands out: one for people with symptoms compatible with covid-19, and the other for other patients.
Additionally, we supply masks and hydroalcoholic gel to all people who come to the hospital for any reason. In addition, the Group is carrying out massive virus detection tests on all personnel, who are equipped with all the necessary self-protection measures.
A security that has always been reinforced thanks to the fact that all Vithas hospitals implement the strict protocols of the Joint Commission International, world reference body that accredits patient safety and healthcare excellence.
For more information: https://preparadosparacuidarte.com/